|CV-Mr. Demian Katz|
|Address||921 E. Walnut St. • North Wales, PA 19454
Phone: (215) 884-0727 • Email: email@example.com
|Profile||Programmer/analyst with librarian background, experienced in development and maintenance of
large-scale, complex web-based applications and in management of open source projects and
small development teams. Active in scholarship related to dime novels, story papers and other
early forms of printed popular culture.
|Employment||● Villanova University, Falvey Memorial Library, Library Technology Development
Specialist (2009-2016); Director of Library Technology (2016-present).
● JMI Software Consultants, Programmer/Analyst (2005-2009)
● Chester County Library, Reference Technical Assistant (2001-2005)
|Education||● University of Pittsburgh (Master of Library and Information Science), 2004.
● West Chester University (Bachelor of Science Degree in Computer Science), 2000.
● Community College of Philadelphia (Associate in General Studies), 1998
|Recent Publications||● Dime Novel Monsters: The Monstrous and Prehistoric in Early Popular Fiction, Dime
Novel Round-Up, Fall 2019.
● “Story Papers and Pamphlet Novels” (with Matthew Short), published in The Oxford
History of Popular Print Culture, vol. 5, Oxford University Press (2019).
● Examining the “Man on Mountain” Pattern in Beadle’s Dime Novels, Dime Novel
Round-Up, Spring 2019.
● Motor Stories: Dime Novels in Transition, Dime Novel Round-Up, Summer 2018.
● The Albert Johannsen Project: Digitizing The House of Beadle and Adams and Its Nickel
and Dime Novels (with Matthew Short), Dime Novel Round-Up, Summer 2017.
● The Triumph of David: A Case Study in VuFind Customization, Annals of Library and
Information Studies v. 63, no. 4 (2016). Online at:
● The Poetry of Kathleen’s Diamonds: An Analysis, Dime Novel Round-Up, Winter 2016.
● The Early History of Gamebooks: Some New Discoveries, Fighting Fantazine issue 15,
May 2016. ● Mrs. Miller Lives: The Digitalization Process for Story Papers and Dime Novels — and Some Unexpected Consequences, Dime Novel Round-Up, Winter 2013.
● The Groom of the Tomb, self-published, 2013 (A book-length interactive fiction retelling
of a 19th century story paper serial)
|Grants||● The Street & Smith Project ($348,630 NEH Grant, 2020-2022)
● FOLIO Innovation Grant ($10,000 EBSCO Grant, 2018)
● The Albert Johannsen Project: Digitizing the House of Beadle and Adams and their
Nickel and Dime Novels ($448,893 CLIR Hidden Collections Grant, 2017-2019)
|Committees/Memberships||● Catholic Research Resources Alliance Digital Access Committee (member, 2011-; chair,
● Historical Society of Pennsylvania Technology Committee (member, 2015-)
● PCA/ACA Children’s/YA Series Fiction and Dime Novels Area (member, 2013-; chair,
● ReShare (Open Source Resource Sharing Project) Subject Matter Experts Group
● Universal Viewer Steering Committee (member, 2019-)